Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
Function of the Position
This position provides home office technical, financial, contractual, and management oversight and has decision-making authority for one or more projects. Enables projects to achieve quality programming and development outcomes. Also, participates in new business initiatives within the assigned geography.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percentages below are notional and may evolve over time.
Manager Functions (15%)
Manages home office functions for one or more projects and relationships with the field teams. Manages resources across these teams and encourages collaboration within broader directorate and geography. Makes timely decisions; escalates to appropriate decision-maker as needed; keeps Project Delivery Team (PDT) Director informed of key management or technical issues on the projects. Participates in management or technical STTAs. May serve as Acting COP or DCOP. Executes authorities listed in SOA.
New Business (25%)
Participates in research, pre-positioning, recons and/or proposal management for three to four new business opportunities per year. Participates in Pink/Red/Lime/Green Team reviews as needed.
Identifies home office technical experts (e.g., from Technical Services) that will serve as resources to the COP and component leads on the project. Works with COP to ensure that contract deliverables are completed and submitted in a timely manner, that project activities are implemented in accordance with the contract scope of work and approved work plan and are of high quality. Identifies, interviews, and approves project STTA and LTTA candidates. Participates and provides support as necessary to the COP and field team during all strategic planning sessions. Manages project extension or modification proposals. Reviews, supports, and edits (with COP) STTA deliverables as requested by field. Contributes to Knowledge Management and Learning for directorate and geography: responsible for promoting project through success stories, DAI website updates, hosting project brown bags, etc. Contributes to cross-project learning with Solutions and throughout geography to deepen development solutions that are locally relevant, successful, and sustainable. Engages in project level recruitment in support of STTA and LTTA vacancies.
Project Management (15%)
Leads Quarterly Project Review (QPR) process. Responsible for scheduling Client Satisfaction Surveys twice a year, to be carried out by the PDT Director and for following up on any action items and/or taking measures for improvements as needed. Monitors day-to-day activity on the project and manages home office tasks, including:
- Providing oversight of operational activities, such as mobilization and demobilization of staff, home office-based procurement, etc.
- Troubleshooting complex, or cross-departmental problems
- Ensuring compliance with DAI policies and procedures and, in consultation with support groups, providing recommendations for best practices (in areas such as inventory management, insurance, record management, export control, etc.)
- Serves as the primary point of contact for the COP and HO staff on technical, management, operational, and financial issues. Engages HR on field and PDT personnel issues as needed. Responsible for the success of start-up and close down of his/her projects and may serve as Start-up or Close-down Manager or Team Leader as appropriate. Proactively identifies and analyzes areas of risk, advises project team on solutions and preventative measures. Ensures compliance with internal and external audit findings.
Contract Management (10%)
Ensures overall contract compliance with client and DAI rules, regulations and procedures. Resolves complex contractual issues with appropriate escalation and collaboration with Contracts and PDT Director. Manages preparation of budget realignments, contract modifications, and subcontract modifications. Ensures team drafts routine contractual documents using approved templates. Writes Statements of Work for subcontracts and serves as primary point of contact for all US based subcontractors and partners.
Financial Management (10%)
Accountable for managing project financial performance targets (with COP); leads project financial reviews, analyzes and troubleshoots financial issues. Monitors and approves project non-billable costs; responsible for minimizing non-billable costs. Responsible for ensuring accuracy of project financial transactions and monthly project invoices. Reviews and approves home office payments (e.g., expense reports, vendor invoices). Monitors accuracy of project budget and provides analysis and solutions; understands financial structure of contract and advises COP and home office on profitability implications. Assists home office team and field with quarterly ETC projections and provides final ETC review.
Geographic/Cross DAI Support (5%)
As a Project Delivery Team member, provides support as needed and collaborates with colleagues. Reviews new policies and procedures and, where needed, proposes changes for existing policies and procedures. Delivers trainings and acts as QA reviewer. Provides short-term coverage for traveling Managers or Associates, or Managers performing proposal management responsibilities. Drafts technical justification and seeks Director approval for At Risk Requests.
Staff Management (10%)
Supervises, trains and coaches Project Associates and Assistants. Ensures COP receives DAI orientation and appropriate training. Ensures Project Associates and Coordinators have the required training as per the Learning Plan, skills, and support to successfully carry out their SOWs. Encourages learning and knowledge sharing across USG, the geography, and the directorate. Conducts performance reviews and goal setting meetings for Associates and Coordinators.
Additional Responsibilities may be assigned as business needs evolve.
- Experience providing project management support to USAID- funded projects
- Knowledge of U.S. government regulations, policies and procedures
- Business development experience
- Supervisory experience. At least two years supervisory experience at grades 10 +
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to travel on assignments for DAI projects (minimum one assignment per year)
- Grade 9: Minimum of 7 years of professional work experience and a bachelor’s degree or 5 years of professional work experience and a master’s degree.
- *Grade 10:** Minimum of 9 years of professional work experience and a bachelor’s degree or 7 years of professional work experience and a master’s degree.
- *Grade 11:** Minimum of 11 years of professional work experience and a bachelor’s degree or 9 years of professional work experience and a master’s degree.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Field experience
- Knowledge of Oracle and MS Project a plus
- Experience with project recruitment
- Proficiency in French
May supervise one or more Project Delivery Team Associate(s)
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
DAI requires COVID 19 vaccinations subject to accommodation required by law.
How to apply
Please apply using the link below:
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.