Position Title: Project Officer (IBM)
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 17 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros;Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing the projects “Community Engagement in border security and management in Senegal”, the regional project “Community Engagement: from Senegal to Benin”, both funded by the US Government; the regional project “Survey on border management in the Sahel region amid COVID-19” funded by JICA and implemented in Senegal (management site), Mauritania, Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso and Chad.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator (BMS), the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the implementation of Immigration and Border Management (IBM) projects and contributing to the project development and planning.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide support and assistance for the timely implementation and monitoring of all relevant project activities in coordination with the relevant units of IOM Senegal Country Office. Follow up on logistical and administrative arrangements, cooperate with national and international authorities, provide information and support with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff.
Provide technical inputs and guidance for the formulation of needs assessments. Analyse progress and implementation reports, propose action to expedite project delivery, and identify and document significant project events, decisions, problems or deviations.
Contribute to the development of new project proposals by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning, operationalization and administration of individual projects, draft segments of project proposals, and monitor project performance.
Work closely with the Project Coordinator, the Government of Senegal, the populations and other partners, and organize and conduct training to sensitize communities for their participation in the implementation of specific IBM activities.
Participate and engage actively in relevant meetings organized in Dakar, including online and other virtual exchanges with partners.
Draft sections of project documents based on results of assessments, and draft project and budget revisions based on negotiations with donors, changed work plans or budget reallocation.
Undertake visits to project sites and provide information and support with respect to project management and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting.
Communicate and exchange information directly with the target audience, as required.
Draft and contribute to the preparation of a diverse range of communication products that support project engagement strategies.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• International humanitarian experience, including field experience working in crisis countries during complex or other emergency would be an advantage; and,
• Previous experience of working in the border management field.
High level of computer practice.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 04.11.2021 to 17.11.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 269 Project Officer (IBM) (P2) Dakar, Senegal (57247530) Released
Posting: Posting NC57247531 (57247531) Released
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.