UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfilling their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a better future
UNICEF works to ensure the rights of all children in the East Asia and Pacific Region. This means the rights of every child living in this country, irrespective of their nationality, gender, religion or ethnicity, to:
- survival – to basic healthcare, peace and security;
- development – to a good education, a loving home and adequate nutrition;
- protection – from abuse, neglect, trafficking, child labour and other forms of exploitation; and
- participation – to express opinions, be listened to and take part in making any decisions that affect them
How can you make a difference?
The Regional ICT & Digital Innovation Section, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office (EAPRO) is seeking an individual consultant to work closely with all Digital Transformation stakeholders to improve, refine and better package the current version of IDIOM and facilitate its implementation with country offices. The consultant will support the efficient and effective utilization of resources and support the implementation of people-centric organization development and change management solutions that will serve UNICEF EAPR’s and UNICEF’s Digital Transformation strategic goals.
Description of the Assignment:
Under the direct supervision of the Regional ICT and Digital Innovations Chief, and in close collaboration with the Country Office (CO) deputy representatives and ICT managers, other regions, Human Resources as well as UNICEF headquarters ICT Division (ICTD), the consultant will perform the following tasks
- Review and implement changes to refine IDIOM, a tool used to ensure technology structures in the field can effectively support the CO strategy.
- Improve IDIOM’s user-friendliness by developing helper tools, template questionnaires for COs, a dedicated SharePoint page, outreach and communication materials in support of change management, and other user-support tools as required.
- Support the assessment and analysis of key COs against IDIOM and determine an optimal approach, taking into consideration the CO’s country context, budgets and other factors.
- Provide reports and presentations to managers/staff on IDIOM, including technical advice on related issues such as communication, knowledge management and engagement plans.
- Apply change management frameworks and best practices to support implementation of IDIOM.
- Support IDIOM workforce planning and review of generic job profiles in collaboration with UNICEF CO and RO HR.
- Contribute to formulation of recommendations and detailed targeted organizational structures ensuring coherence, identifying and analyzing any associated risks and feasibility of proposed options, and maximizing operational efficiencies in line with the available budget.
- Provide guidance and advice on formulating detailed implementation plans to ensure that the gaps between the current and future structures and workforce can be smoothly bridged.
- Capture lessons learned to contribute to refining organizational alignment guides and tools and propose any related improvements.
- Provide briefings and capacity building to COs involved with IDIOM.
- Other duties as required.
The assignment will be carried out from the start of the contract, expected on 30 November 2021, for a period of 11.5 months, on a part-time basis for a total of 140 working days. Details of work schedule, priorities and expectations will be periodically discussed and agreed with the supervisor.
- IDIOM is revised and adapted to increase relevance and user-friendliness.
- IDIOM is updated with additional considerations, such as, but not limited to, ICT for Private Sector Fundraising.
- Helper tools, standardized template questionnaires, automatic categorization of offices, communications packages for COs and other knowledge products are created in support of IDIOM.
- Assessment and analysis of key COs against IDIOM is done in a timely manner producing required reports and presentations.
- IDIOM workforce exercise fully supported and generic job profiles revised.
- Change management tools, processes and documentation in place to support the implementation of the recommendations.
Duration of Contract: 140 working days over 11.5 months with an expected start on 27 June 2022
Working Location and Official Travel:
Due to the current travel restrictions, the contractor will work from his/her premises. Priority will be given to candidates either located in Bangkok, Thailand or in a time zone location within 6 hours of GMT+7 (Bangkok).
If travel restrictions are lifted before the end of the contract, there might a need for consultant to travel to UNICEF Country Offices. Any required travel and logistics related to this assignment will be discussed with supervisor in advance and agreed upon mutually. Contractor to use own laptop and other necessary infrastructure/equipment.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- An advanced university degree is desirable in management, Human Resources, or related field.
- A first-level university degree in a relevant field combined with 7 years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in organizational change management, digital transformation, operational consulting or related area.
- Experience designing, leading, and deploying organizational frameworks and operating models.
- Experience working with ICT Divisions from an organizational design perspective and familiarity with ICT Management concepts and lingo.
- Prior experience working with a multilateral or UN organization is desirable.
- Exposure to UNICEF, UN or other INGO programmatic areas, including (but not limited to) health, nutrition, child protection and/or education, and experience in applying technical solutions to address programmatic issues is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated strong writing and presentation skills. Strong analytical and interpersonal communication skills, attention to detail. Ability to translate business needs into technical requirements and translate complex concepts in a simple manner for a non-technical audience is highly desirable.
- Experience in coordination with multiple stakeholders like government agencies, academic institutions, research organizations, private sector, etc. in implementing ICT projects and exploring space for collaboration and partnerships is desirable.
- Project management skills including task prioritization, workflow coordination, and results-driven strategies is desirable.
- Relevant work experience related to knowledge management, development of training programmes/materials focusing on data action, impact and integrity is desirable
- Ability to foster excellent work relationships and build alliances with multi‐cultural and multi‐disciplinary stakeholders simultaneously is desirable.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines is desirable.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness, and ability to incorporate innovative solutions is desirable.
- Experience working with the social impact and international development space is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
- Trust and Accountability
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Develop a network of formal and informal contacts through participation in professional networks or consultations with others.
- Adopt a consultative approach and solicit the support of key stakeholders at critical stages of one’s work.
- Collaborate with other UN entities, public and private sector partners, sharing knowledge and contributing to best practice.
- Promote and select partners who share UNICEF’s values.
- Ensure that feedback from key stakeholders is incorporated into programme design, implementation, and team learning.
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Plan and take ownership for delivering tasks with minimal supervision.
- Pay attention to detail, producing work of a high standard.
- Monitor activities on a regular basis, reviewing work plan to ensure progress and delivery.
- Ensure the completion of tasks, while addressing obstacles and bottlenecks.
- Involve key stakeholders in activities that impact them, keeping them informed of potential delays and problems.
- Innovates and embraces change
- Review work practices, analyzing evidence-based trends to apply new methods and techniques.
- Respond flexibly to changing circumstances, priorities, and deadlines.
- Display creativity, experiment with new approaches and demonstrate openness to changing existing practices.
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Understand the organization’s objectives and align work plan activities.
- Analyze and evaluate data from a wide range of sources, assessing reliability and presenting conclusions to enable informed decision-making.
- Adapt workplans in response to emerging situations and new requirements.
- Consider the long-term impact and risks of decisions and actions.
- Relating and Networking: Easily establishes good relationships with external partners and staff; builds wide and effective networks within UNICEF, within the wider UN system and with external parties; relates well to people at all levels; manages conflict; uses humor appropriately to enhance relationships with others.
- Persuading and Influencing: Gains agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others inside and outside UNICEF; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
- Applying Technical Expertise: Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organizational departments and functions.
- Analyzing: Analyzes numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns, and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgments from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
- Learning and Researching: Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making.
- Creating and Innovating: Produces new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates innovative ways of designing projects or outputs in own work area; produces a range of solutions to problems.
- Adapting and Responding to Change: Adapts to changing circumstances including emergencies and other crises; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people and situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
- Entrepreneurial Thinking: Keeps up to date with trends in own work area; identifies opportunities for advancing UNICEF’s mission; maintains awareness of developments in the organizational structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness and a concern for cost-effectiveness.
View our competency framework at:
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P-11, full contact information of minimum 3 references, availability, and proposed daily professional fee in USD by 1 June 2022.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People, and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.