Fundação Gaspar Frutuoso
Summary of the notice
By order of the President of the Board of Directors of the Gaspar Frutuoso Foundation of 02/12/2021 by delegation of competences, it was authorized the international selection call for 1 (one) junior doctoral post-doc for the exercise of scientific research activities in the field of Regional Economy or Economic Geography, under a uncertain term contract under the Labor Code, to exercise research functions, within the scope of the project “Operational Models of Complex Spatial Interaction”, with reference EXPL/GES-OUT/1325/2021, financed by the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., through funds exclusively from the State Budget.
The workplace is in the Regional Science Room, located at the Angra do Heroísmo Campus of the University of the Azores, 9700-042 Angra do Heroísmo, Azores, Portugal.
The monthly remuneration to be attributed is that provided for in paragraph a) of paragraph 1 of article 15 of the RJEC, corresponding to level 33 of the single remuneration table, approved by Administrative Rule no. 1553-C / 2008, December 31, updated through Decree-Law No. 10-B/2020 of March 20, 2010, with the payment of 2,134.73 euros gross.
Text of the notice
1. By order of the President of the Board of Directors of the Gaspar Frutuoso Foundation of 02/12/2021, by delegation of competences, it was authorized the international selection call for 1 (one) junior doctoral post-doc for the exercise of scientific research activities in the field of Regional Economy or Economic Geography, under a uncertain term contract under the Labor Code, to exercise research functions, within the scope of the project “Operational Models of Complex Spatial Interaction”, with reference EXPL/GES-OUT/1325/2021, financed by the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., through funds exclusively from the State Budget.
2. Applicable legislation: Under Decree No. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law 57/2017, of July 19, approving a system of contracting doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), and Labor Code, approved by Law no. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current version.
3. The jury of the contest has the following composition:
President of the Jury: Dr. Tomás Lopes Cavalheiro Ponce Dentinho, Assistant Professor of the University of the Azores and responsible for the project; Effective members: Dr. José António Cabral Vieira, Full Professor of the University of the Azores and member of the project team, who will replace the President in his absences and impediments; and Dr. Eduardo Amaral Haddad, Full Professor of the University of São Paulo (Brazil); Deputy members: Dr. Mário José Amaral Fortuna, Full Professor of the University of the Azores; and Dr. Cassio Frederico Camargo Rolim, retired professor of the Federal University of Paraná (Brazil).
4. Place of work: Regional Science Room, located at the Angra do Heroísmo Campus of the University of the Azores, 9700-042 Angra do Heroísmo, Azores, Portugal.
5. The monthly remuneration to be attributed is that provided for in item a) of paragraph 1 of article 15 of the RJEC, corresponding to level 33 of the single remuneration table, approved by Administrative Rule no. 1553-C / 2008, December 31, updated through Decree-Law No. 10-B/2020 of March 20, 2010, being of 2.134,73 Euros illiquid.
6. Applicants may be national, foreign, and stateless candidates who are holders of a doctoral degree in areas related to Regional Economy or Economic Geography and holders of a curriculum vitae scientific and professional that reveals an adequate profile to the activity to be developed. If the doctorate has been awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16.
7. General requirements for admission to call are:
– Doctoral degree in areas related to Economics or Geography and more specifically in the areas of Regional Economics or Economic Geography and other related areas.
– A good list of publications in the areas of Regional Economics or Economic Geography, with preference in the topics of regional development and sustainability.
– Experience in spatial econometrics models, regional general equilibrium models, growth models, in particular in the study of regional economics and demography.
– Experience in developing research projects and writing scientific articles.
– Qualities of work, integration in interdisciplinary teams and interest in researching the interaction of people and places in space.
– Excellent English and Portuguese communication skills (both verbal and written).
8. The selection of the doctoral candidate to be hired will be carried out by the evaluation of the scientific and curricular trajectory of the candidates. This evaluation will focus on the relevance, quality and timeliness of: a) the scientific and technological production of the last five years considered more relevant by the candidate and associated with the thematic area of the call; b) the research activities carried out in the last five years considered as having the greatest impact by the candidate and associated with the thematic area of the call; c) involvement in activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, promoting the practice and scientific culture, considered of greater importance by the candidate and related to the position now in call; d) the activities of management of programs and projects of science, technology and innovation.
The period of five years referred above may be increased by the jury, at the request of the candidate, when justified by suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely for reasons of parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work legally protected.
9. The position is described in detail in the following paragraphs:
This position is directed to the execution of research activities in the framework of the research project “Operational Models of Complex Spatial Interaction”, of exploratory nature, with reference EXPL/GES-OUT/1325/2021, coordinated by Tomás Lopes Cavalheiro Ponce Dentinho. It aims to frame the complexity of spatial interactions using the structure of space imagined as a network of spatial channels built up by interacting flows. Their results are expected to demonstrate the capacity of spatial interaction models to explain and operationalize complex spatial systems with organic and human interaction within space. To this end, a model that explains the spread of infectious diseases will first be calibrated, to exemplify the organic maximization of infection channels; and second, a regional economic model will be estimated, which maximizes flows subject to the spatial structure of channels, confined by policy measures.
10. Selection methods and curricular evaluation criteria:
The evaluation of the candidates will be made based on the integrated evaluation of the scientific and curricular trajectory of the candidate (CE with a weight of 90%) and with the accomplishment of an interview (PE with a weight of 10%).
10.1 The first component of evaluation will be made based on the CV of the candidate taking into account the following items:
– scientific production in journals with an impact factor – 50% of CE;
– participation in R & D projects, with an appreciation of the% of time allocated to each of them, duly proven – 15% of CE;
– professional experience (35% of CE), considering the execution of activities inherent to the job and their degree of complexity, duly proven. The classification of this parameter is the result of the sum of the points obtained in the following paragraphs:
a) Experience in Regional Economics, regional models of general equilibrium and spatial econometrics, in particular in the study of Regional Economics and Demography (20 points).
b) Experience in developing research projects (20 points).
c) Experience in integrating interdisciplinary teams in research on the interaction of people and places in space (20 points).
d) Experience in writing scientific articles (20 points).
e) Experience in planning and preparing project reports and other means of dissemination; preferably with experience in scientific dissemination (20 points).
Candidates who have obtained an assessment of less than 50% in the CE will not be included in the procedure and will not be invited to the professional interview.
10.2 – The second component of evaluation is the interview and has a weight of 10%.
11. The final classification system for candidates is expressed on a scale of 0 to 100.
12. The jury shall deliberate by means of a roll-call vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published. Abstention is not allowed.
13. Minutes of the jury meetings are drawn up, containing a summary of what has taken place, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and their reasons, and will be available to candidates whenever requested.
14. After completing the application of the selection criteria, the jury will draw up an ordered list of successful candidates with their classification.
15. The final decision of the jury is approved by the maximum leader of the institution that also has to decide on the hiring.
16. Application formalization:
16.1 – Applications are formalized by means of an application addressed to the President of the Jury, which should include the internal ref (Euraxess), full name, affiliation, number and date of identity card or Citizen’s Card or civil identification number, fiscal identification number, date and place of birth, marital status, occupation, address and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
16.2 – The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions set out in points 6 and 7 for admission to this call, namely: a) copy of certificate or diploma; b) PDF copy of the doctoral thesis and publications; c) detailed curriculum vitae, structured in accordance with items 7 and 8; d) other documents relevant for the evaluation of the qualification in related scientific area; e) brief description of the most relevant scientific activities of the last 5 years (max. 1 page), according to point 10.1 (a-e) of this edict.
16.3 – The candidates present their applications and supporting documents, addressed to the President of the Jury at the email address [email protected] with knowledge to [email protected] , until the last day of the competition opening deadline, which shall which will run 10 working days after the date of publication.
17. Candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or who do not prove the requirements of this call are excluded from admission to the call. The jury has the power to require any candidate, in case of doubt, to present documents proving their statements.
18. Candidates who do not obtain a final mark equal to or greater than 60% will not be admitted to the call because of lack of absolute merit.
19. The false statements made by the candidates will be punished according to the law.
20. The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final classification list are publicized at the Gaspar Frutuoso Foundation, with the selected candidate notified by email with delivery receipt of the notification.
21. Preliminary Hearing and deadline for Final Decision: After publication of the results, the candidates have 10 working days to pronounce. The final decisions of the jury, to be posted at the Fundação Gaspar Frutuoso, FP, will be delivered within 5 working days of the deadline for submitting complaints. Within a period of no more than 90 working days, starting from the deadline for submission of applications, the final decisions of the jury are announced.
22. The present call is exclusively destined to fill the vacancy indicated. It can be stopped until the homologation of the list of final ordering of the candidates and will expire with the respective occupation of the job on offer, the start of the contract may be postponed depending on developments in the situation of COVID-19. The Gaspar Foundation reserves the right not to award the vacancy to tender for reasons attributable to the funding entity.
23. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The Azorean Biodiversity Group, the University of the Azores and the Gaspar Frutuoso Foundation actively promote a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty due to, inter alia, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, origin or social status, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
24. Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, the disabled candidate has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Applicants must declare on the application form, under their honorary commitment, the respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, in accordance with the above-mentioned diploma.
25. Under RU 2016/679 04/27/2016 and of Law nº 67/98 26/10 the personal data collected by the entity are only for recruitment. The personal data collected by the entity by means of this application is intended to assess whether candidates are suitable for the place requested and for the preliminary calculation of the remuneration, bonuses and perks of the candidates who are admitted to the recruitment. The data entered in the application are essential data in the weighting of the selection of candidates, which may affect the efficiency and the result of the respective application if the candidates do not provide them. The personal data of unsuitable candidates will be retained by the entity for a period of five years for subsequent recruitment. Applications for candidates may be transferred by the entity to its own premises or to the consortium entities, where there are job openings during the abovementioned period. Applicants shall enjoy, in accordance with the law, the rights of access and rectification. For the exercise of the right of access, they must submit a written request to the head of the entity.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.