German Red Cross
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conﬂicts and disasters and people aﬀected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent (RC/RC) Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organizations within the Movement.
Amid political turmoil that has been ravaging many countries in the MENA region, National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies have focused their eﬀorts on providing relief and support to communities aﬀected. Through its longstanding support to RC/RC societies, GRC has established a core competency in community-based DRR programming in MENA. The overall objective of GRC in MENA is to support RC/RC societies in implementing their humanitarian programs and strengthening their institutional preparedness and response capacities, while ensuring close coordination and cooperation within the RC/RC movement.
Funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, GRC is currently implementing two projects, delivering humanitarian aid and strengthening response preparedness with a thematic focus on Anticipation and Forecast based financing (FbF), Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and humanitarian action in urban areas.
GRC is currently seeking a Regional DRR Advisor MENA (m/f/d).
The delegate will work regionally with RC/RC partners and support country teams, covering Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Turkey, Yemen, Morocco, oPt, Egypt, Libya and Iran. He/she will facilitate exchanges and learning between countries and advise country teams in designing and implementing DRR programs with national sister societies.
Starting date: starting January 2022
Duration: 24 months
Location: Beirut / Lebanon, with extensive travels in the region
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Regional DRR advisor is a technical resource and will coordinate closely with GRC’s Beirut-based Program Coordinators and Berlin-based Country Managers to ensure that support is given in a coordinated way and in alignment with operational needs. Through coordination and exchange with GRC’s Berlin-based DRR, Urban and Anticipation teams, the advisor will feed into global learning and policy development. He/she will work 80% regionally, and 20% dedicated to the Lebanon country program.
The Regional DRR Advisor will advise country teams and sister national societies in their DRR plans, strategies and programs, and contribute to a high level of program quality and capacity building in DRR projects across MENA. The DRR Advisor will actively liaise with RC/RC movement partners at country and regional level. He/she will initiate and support DRR events, workshops and products, and closely work with GRC’s DRR advisory team to feed project learning into global DRR policy products.
The advisor shall also support GRC’s work in the thematic areas of anticipatory humanitarian action and humanitarian assistance in urban areas and encourage and create links and synergies between these focus topics.
Program support to country teams
- Provide technical support and advice to GRC country teams and RC/RC National Society program staff
- Advise country teams in applying, contextualizing and prioritizing global DRR standards and regional DRR learning
- Provide quality assurance at all stages of the project management cycle, including through country and project visits
- Induct and train GRC and RC/RC staff on DRR programming and best practices
- Actively link DRR, urban and anticipatory programming in country operations and technically support integrated project development and implementation
- Frequent travels to MENA countries, with assignments such as developing new DRR projects, or strategies and reviewing existing DRR initiatives
Regional coordination, learning and exchange
- Engage in continuous thematic exchange with regional RC/RC partners, in particular with IFRC and ICRC counterparts
- Regular participation and active contribution to the IFRC-led regional DRR community of practice and similar technical fora
- Technically advise GRC’s Regional Program Coordinators and Head of MENA office, and contribute to shaping GRC’s regional strategy
- Initiate, facilitate and organize regional DRR workshops and similar knowledge sharing events between National Societies, GRC country teams and other Movement components
- Communicate thematic developments, learning pieces and updates with county teams and the wider RC/RC Movement
Support global learning and policy development
- Request and channel specialized technical advice from HQ to country teams, on DRR-related topics, Forecast-based Financing or urban disasters, as per program needs
- Feed country and regional learning into global policy development, by contributing to policy documents, developing case studies etc.
- Participate in and contribute to global DRR fora and exchanges, showcasing experience and learning from MENA countries
- Promote thematic tools and methodologies where appropriate and contribute to institutional learning
Required Skills and Competencies:
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in the ﬁeld of DRR, Disaster Risk Management and Institutional Preparedness
- In-depth understanding of and proven experience in integrated programming, community-based approaches, and their mainstreaming
- Sound understanding of and experience in contextualization and adaption of tools, approaches and methodologies
- Experience working in fragile and insecure contexts
- Proven experience in providing technical and strategic advice to operational teams
- Substantial experience in organizing and conducting learning events such as trainings and workshops
- Excellent communication and representation skills
- Cultural sensitivity and experience in working with diverse teams
- Ability to work flexibly, independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the RC/RC Fundamental Principles
- Experience of working for the RC/RC Movement or in MENA an asset
- Oral and written ﬂuency in English required; German or Arabic an asset
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process
- Committed to prevent and combat any occurrence of bullying, intimidation, harassment, abuse and exploitation, including of sexual nature
- Valid International Driving License
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. GRC oﬀers you a compensation package for this non-accompanied position, according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. We will provide an individual accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is covering one home ﬂight per 12-month period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will beneﬁt from a comprehensive training package and receive brieﬁngs and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission.
How to apply
Kindly apply by submitting your application until 12.12.2021 by using the GRC online application system.
We point out that the selection and nomination processes for this international delegate position may demand that information concerning your person be shared with involved Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners (IFRC, ICRC, National Society). This may include transmission into countries that do not apply data protection standards comparable to those of the European Union.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.