Research Assistant, National Security and International Policy
Reports to: Senior Vice President, National Security and International Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: National Security and International Policy
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union – Level 2
Minimum compensation: $51,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant in its National Security and International Policy department. Democratic political systems around the world are struggling to meet the justified expectations of their citizenry; rein in misinformation; and hold to account those responsible for corruption, tax evasion, human rights abuses, and widespread citizen insecurity. Many citizens have lost faith that democratic systems can deliver tangible improvements in their lives, while illiberal political actors have tapped into this discontent to build power, undercut democratic checks and balances, and erode the post-Cold War international order.
The Research Assistant will work across the department, but with particular immediate emphasis on advancing an international political accountability agenda that proposes solutions to address the above circumstances. The Research Assistant will assist department senior staff in their policy research and advocacy agenda, provide administrative support as required, and develop professional relationships with other American Progress departments and outside stakeholders. The department’s work is driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all through bold, progressive ideas and leadership that changes not only the conversation, but the country. American Progress focuses on building connectivity between national security and international policy issues and the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Support and conduct original research and analysis of national security and international policy issues with a particular near-term focus on political accountability, human rights, and democratic resilience.
- Research executive branch policies and legislative issues relevant to these policy areas.
- Proofread and edit documents.
- Assist in coordinating and planning meetings and events.
- Draft articles, papers, memos, charts, tables, and infographics.
- Develop expertise in assigned policy areas.
- Build relationships with external stakeholders in the fields of national security and international policy, political accountability, human rights, and democratic resilience.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, international relations, public policy, oran equivalent combination of education and experience. At least two years of professional experience and/or an advanced degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience are a plus.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate effectively about national security and international policy, political accountability, human rights, and democratic resilience.
- Ability to work well on a team and in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to multitask.
- Knowledge of the executive and legislative politics of national security and international policy, political accountability, human rights, and democratic resilience.
- Experience with both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit organizations is a plus.
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus.
- Advanced data/statistical analysis experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $51,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.