The Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) was established on 22 May 1964 in N’Djamena, Republic of Chad. The Commission was established upon recognizing the need to formulate principles of the use of resources of the Basin for economic purposes, including the harnessing of water resources. The mandate of the Commission is to sustainably and equitably manage the Lake Chad and other shared water resources of the Lake Chad Basin, preserve the ecosystems of the Lake Chad Conventional Basin, to promote regional integration, peace and security across the Basin.
We are recruiting competent and qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Rural Development Expert
Location: N’Djamena, Republic of Chad
Contract Duration: Three (3) years renewable subject to performance evaluation
Reporting Line: Head of Division, Natural Resources Management.
The Executive Secretariat of LCBC is seeking to recruit a Rural Development Expert. The responsibilities of the positions are among others:
- Support the Technical Department and other Divisions within the Department on the implementation of the Strategic Action Program (SAP) and the Regional Stabilisation Strategy (RSS) for the Lake Chad Basin;
- Contribute to identifying methods and practices required to turn rural regions into agriculturally productive areas thereby improving the health and nutrition of the rural communities in the Basin;
- Prepare Technical Notes on the dissemination of the methods and practices identified and support capacity building of stakeholders to ensure its implementation;
- Lead the preparation (together with Experts on Socioeconomics, Fisheries and Aquaculture and Agropastoralism) of annual report on the Basin’s food security and make recommendations for decision making;
- Collaborate with other Experts to formulate and/or propose amendment/harmonisation of policies to ensure integrated rural development in the Lake Chad Basin focusing on institutional aspect of the Member States;
- Participate in preparing terms of reference and tender documents for goods and services ;
- Ensure the monitoring and control of works carried out by service providers (compliance with norms, standards and specifications);
- Perform other duties, as assigned by LCBC.
Educational Qualification and Competencies
- Master’s Degree in Rural Development Engineering, Agricultural Engineering and any other related field of studies.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in the field of rural development, in particular: Rural Roads, Hydro-agricultural Infrastructures and Rural Development Planning and Technologies;
- Proven experience in designing and supervising the construction of rural infrastructure projects and investments (fish-ponds, small scale irrigation, rural water supply schemes, agroforestry, etc.);
- Working knowledge of the participatory and community development approach;
- Good working knowledge of computer especially the MS Office suite of tools.
- Good knowledge of project management and of the Lake Chad Basin would be desirable.
- Experience in the field of environmental protection and preservation would be a great asset.
- Age limit: At most 45 years as at 1 January 2023.
- Fluency in English and/or French.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their completed Applications which shall include the documents below to: [email protected]using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- A handwritten Application
- A Cover Letter
- A Certificate of Non-conviction issued within Three Months
- A Certificate of Nationality
- Work Certificates / Attestations
- A Certified true copy of Certificates and Diplomas
- A signed Curriculum Vitae
- Two (2) Passport-size Photographs.
Send completed Applications to:
The Secretariat of the Executive Secretary,
Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC),
Ronde Pointe Grand Army,
PO Box 727, N’Djaména,
Note: Further information on the job descriptions and profiles may be obtained on LCBC website: www.cblt.org .
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.