The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Safety and Security Manager – OTL
Requisition ID: req22284
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Safety & Security
Open to Expatriates: No
Position Reports to: Director of Operations and Finance
Job Overview / Summary
- The Safety & Security Manager Position, under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations and Finance supports the OTL in identifying, analyzing, and mitigating risk to facilitate access for humanitarian programming in Borno and Yobe States and to ensure operates within acceptable Safety &Security risk levels.
- To do this, the role will work independently but where necessary, with support from the existing IRC security structure to ensure that the project staff deployed to the field are supported and oriented on the required protocols.
- The Manager will spend 70% of time supporting Borno office and 30% supporting Yobe office.
- The role will further entail advising the management team and other project staff on various security matters; contribute to implementing the security policies and facilitate the rollout of security SOPs, and regular reporting on compliance.
- The Manager will liaise with the Director of Operations and Finance, and externally liaises with relevant stake holders like the military, police DSS, government officials and traditional authorities for collaboration, acceptance, and ease of access. The Manager will organize regular security training and refresher training to enable staff have a constant understanding of the context and existing security plans.
- The manger will ensure timely reporting of security incidents and dissemination of security information to all staff.
- Share Daily Security Report with all the project staff.
- Share monthly security reports and trend analysis with the project management team and ensures that the security incident list is updated.
- Ensure that incident report forms are properly compiled by staff and distributed to the Management team.
- Conduct security briefing and orientation to all newly hired staff, staff on mission or international visitors using the standard briefing format. He/She will ensure that an updated briefing tracking sheet is maintained.
- Conduct security risk assessment of the program locations in Borno and Yobe using the standard SRA & Security Level tool and to monitor the contextual trends prior to and continuously after deployment of staff.
- Work closely with Director of operations and Finance to ensure that Safety and Security Standards in Borno and Yobe offices are maintained and implemented in line with the recommendations from assessment repots.
- Collate, analyze, and disseminate security information as approved or advised by the DOF to the project staff and ensuring the information remains accurate and neutral.
- Contribute to the development and review of Project field offices FSMP, CPs, security plans, Contingency plans, and standards operating procedures.
- Enforce Security SOPs within the area of jurisdiction and advise staff accordingly. Constantly and immediately notify the DOF of any breach to the procedures in the SOPs.
- Conducting regular checks on IRC premises in Borno and Yobe, provide recommendation on their improvement and follow up on their implementation. Any areas of improvement to be reported to DOF for immediate action.
- Initiate security alerts as appropriate in line with the ever-evolving security context across two states through the existing Warden System, Bulk SMS, and Early Warning Group.
- Ensure that staff movement are well tracked and communication using Sat Phone is maintained.
- Guide Field teams on how to undertake security risk assessments during field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas, report on findings and design necessary improvements.
- Work on identification and mitigation of potential security risks to staff, assets and operational/program security and validates mitigation measure within security risk assessments.
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow-up actions and recommendations in close coordination with the DOF, and management staff.
- Provide security update, which includes situational analysis, actions taken, and actions recommended to the Field Management Team on a regular and as per request basis.
- The employee will perform other related tasks as required and responsible for reporting and
- communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task.
- Work effectively as a member of the Security Management Team to ensure the safety of staff, assets, and durable programming
- Other relevant duties and project work as directed by the Director of Operations and Finance or Chief of Party.
- Maintenance of high technical standards.
- Conduct all duties in a professional manner following IRC Nigeria staff regulations.
- University Degree / HND in Civil / Environmental Engineering or related field.
- Minimum 3 years professional technical experience in WASH / Environmental Health, Physical Science, structures and/or water delivery/production.
- Minimum 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting.
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting.
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Proven technical writing skills.
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience.
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa or any local language skills are a plus.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.