World Vision is hiring a Senior Business Development Manager within the Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs Team.
At a Glance
Role: Senior Business Development Manager, Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs (HEA)
Location: Remote, from within the United States
Reports to: Director of Emergency Funding, Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs (HEA)
Required experience: Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development, preferably for USAID and other USG donors- specifically USAID/BHA or Legacy OFDA/FFP and State Dept/ BPRM.
Candidates who do not have Senior Business Development Manager education and experience qualifications may be considered at a Business Development Manager (non-Senior) level. Experience must include a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
Travel: Up to 25% of time both in development and fragile contexts.
The Senior Business Development Manager will position World Vision US and National Offices for anticipated funding opportunities. In this role, the individual will provide guidance and leadership to colleagues on good program design and provide quality assurance in proposal development process. S/he will serve as the lead for large and complex funding proposal development processes involving technical content and complex consortium partnerships. When not working on funding opportunities, the Senior Business Development manager supports internal team process improvements, and coaches’ offices on how to be a partner of choice. The Senior Business Development Manager will help carry out our Christian organization’s mission, vision, and strategies, and personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word and sign.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services and regular prayer.
- Identify relevant upcoming funding opportunities through advance intelligence gathering and prepare recommendations based on specific go/no-go decision criteria. Identify required relevant resources, strategic partnerships and proposal development resources needed for pursuing identified funding opportunities.
- Serve as lead for highly technical and/or complex grant funding proposal preparations.
- Manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning.
- Ensure quality inputs to proposal technical submission.
- Manage partners’ inputs to the cost application.
- Provide technical input to field and US-based finance officers to support completion of the cost application in alignment with the technical program design.
- Manage consultants recruited to support proposed development when relevant.
- Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
- Engage in the development of best practice and evidence base for approaches utilized in proposals.
- Support technical brand positioning as needed.
- Build effective working relationships with potential partners on proposal bids.
- Support recruitment process to ensure timely identification and inclusion of qualified key personnel for proposals.
- Manage proposal review process and check for quality, activity budget alignment, responsiveness and compliance with donor guidelines and solicitation instructions.
- For funded proposals, coordinate program design hand over to program manager(s).
- Mentor and build capacity of Business Development Managers on the team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
- Keep informed of organizational announcements, activities and changes via regular reading of the WVUS Intranet and other corporate communication tools.
You’ll Bring These Skills:
- Attention to Detail: Ability to ensure all components of a funding application comply with and meet donor requirements, including technical and clerical aspects.
- Sector Knowledge: Understand current methodologies and standards associated with one or more sectors (cash programming, agriculture/ livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, health/nutrition, protection, etc.) and effectively applies knowledge in designing, monitoring and evaluating programs.
- Strong cross-cultural sensitivity: Communicate and interact effectively with people from other cultures, religions, and geographies
- Ability to balance multiple priorities: Balance the needs and interests of various stakeholders, and able to make decisions involving competing goals, objectives and alternatives. Prioritize tasks and redirect work effort in response to changes in priorities.
- Program design and implementation: Knowledge and demonstrated ability to design development and relief programs that transform communities in need. Understanding of how to acquire and integrate resources to support program design.
- Knowledge of Funding mechanisms: Understanding of diverse funding mechanisms (e.g. cost proposals, fixed-price grants, etc.), how they operate, the requirements for each, and ability to apply knowledge in developing budgets
- Ability to Influence: Comfortable in asserting ideas and persuading others in both written and oral communication. Communicates persuasively and with high impact.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors- specifically USAID/BHA or Legacy OFDA/FFP and State Dept/ BPRM.
- Candidates who do not have Senior Business Development Manager education and experience qualifications may be considered at a Business Development Manager (non-Senior) level. Experience must include a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
- Foreign language skills are desirable (Spanish in particular).
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
- Experience living abroad, either in a fragile setting or in past emergency responses.
- Demonstrated interest or passion for emergency response programs.
- Technical experience in an emergency sector, including protections, cash programming, agriculture/livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, health/nutrition, etc.
- Foreign language proficiency, preferably in Spanish
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally on short notice.
How to apply
Click here to apply. We look forward to reviewing your application.
What Happens Next? We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. If questions arise on our end, we will message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to connect with additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time. All interviews will be virtual at this time.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.