Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Design, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Employment Type: Full Time
- Search for Common Ground seeks a professional, motivated, and creative Senior Design, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer who will support the DMEL Manager in working with the Institutional Learning Team and carry out all the strategic and functional responsibilities of design, monitoring, evaluation and learning for Adamawa Projects.
- S/he will work under the direct supervision of the DMEL Manager and in close coordination with the Regional Head of Office, Project team leads, State Coordinators, the Conflict Analyst, all project Conflict Analysts, and the Media Communications team.
- The position will be based in Adamawa and will frequently travel to the field in Search’s current and emerging field offices.
About the Project
- While clashes are often understood in ethno-religious terms due to the spread of unreliable information, competing claims to land, water and other natural resources are at the root of growing tensions between farmer and herder communities in Nigeria. Indeed, pressure on natural resources has increased due to demographic growth, expanding human settlements, privatization of land, year-round farming practices, environmental degradation, and climate change.
- As a result, herders’ cattle more frequently wander into cultivated land. In the absence of mutually agreed upon solutions, disputes over crop damage, livestock theft, and water pollution have increasingly turned violent. Traditional conflict resolution mechanisms have been pushed beyond its breaking point and trust in authorities is at an all-time low due to widespread inaction, impunity, and a perceived bias.
- To contribute to the mitigation of conflict over natural resources, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Search for Common Ground (Search), and Mercy Corps have designed a comprehensive and integrated approach that builds on the comparative strengths of each organization. Search is building on its extensive work on early warning and response, trust building through dialogue, and promoting of positive perceptions through reliable information and peace messaging.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate weekly with the DMEL Manager to determine priority tasks.
- Ensure the state team Support quality, conflict sensitive, innovative and effective DM&E process in North East;
- Develop data collection tools using kobocollect, ODK and other IT related tools
- Support the DM&E Manager in providing ongoing technical support in proposal development, monitoring, reflective practice, evaluation and learning;
- Implementing SFCG M&E standards around project planning meetings, baseline studies, data collection tools, monitoring missions and evaluations in the North East;
- Establish appropriate data collection methodologies and strategies to evaluate peacebuilding in North East;
- Enable program teams to utilize evaluation findings and communicate results effectively;
- Strengthen DM&E capacities of SFCG program staff and partners;
- Supporting recruitment and management (if needed) of external consultants for specific projects;
- Support DM&E Manager conduct internal evaluations when appropriate based on SFCG Evaluation Guidelines and Policies;
- Contribute to developing organization-wide DM&E tools, systems, and processes
- Supporting DM&E Manager in facilitating cross-organizational learning, which includes providing information, guidelines, lessons learned, and user-friendly learning tools on DM&E on the Institutional Learning Team Intranet website.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Research Methodologies, Social Sciences, Computer Science or related disciplines/areas;
- Additional education in conflict management, media for peacebuilding, communication for social change would be a strong asset.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in field monitoring, evaluation design, empirical and statistical analysis, management information systems and/or information management design is required.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and working with international donors and grantees on PMEL/MLE systems.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in North-East Nigeria.
- Experience in managing databases and coordinating evaluations, surveys and impact monitoring.
- Professional training in project management.
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Collaborative working style that enables coaching and training in M&E principles and best-practices
- Good knowledge of the local languages will be an asset.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- Innovative, analytical and detailed oriented
- Knowledge of data software such as STATA, SPSS;
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow up on tasks to completion is required.
- Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in one or more of the local state languages in the North Eastern part of Nigeria is required.
Application Closing Date
1st November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date).
- This position is only open to Nigerian national.
- Please note that the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please
- All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Collaboration- Audacity – Tenacity – Empathy – Results. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud. Search is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children, youth and vulnerable adults with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children, youth, and vulnerable adults.
- Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.