UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, advocacy
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
UNICEF South Africa (SACO) requires the services of a Social and Digital Media Consultant to support advocacy, fundraising and behavior change communication work. The consultant will manage UNICEF South Africa social media platforms and propose and create digital content, aligned to child rights issues and UNICEF’s priority work in response. This includes overseeing UNICEF South Africa social media accounts on Twitter / Facebook / Instagram / Tik Tok / LinkedIn / YouTube.
How can you make a difference?
Scope of work:
The consultant will report to the Communications Specialist and work closely with the Chief of Communications & Partnerships to advocate for child rights and support fundraising efforts in line with the strategic direction of UNICEF’s work in improving the lives of children across South Africa.
The consultant will also liaise closely with programming colleagues to understand the specific issues affecting children and work being undertaken in education, child protection and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), while working closely with the health section and risk communication and community engagement team on the COVID-19 response.
The emergency response to COVID-19 and its broad ranging impact on childhood has resulted in multiple challenges for children and young people. COVID-19 prevention messaging, including vaccine demand creation and tackling misinformation is a critical element of UNICEF’s social media work, particularly as work goes on to save lives ahead of an expected COVID-19 fourth wave. The social media consultant will be expected to advise on strategies to promote the COVID-19 vaccine and to specifically support the broader COVID-19 communication response, as well as to further strategize on UNICEF South Africa social media work moving forward. This work will include engaging with staff across sections, as well as external partners working with the Department of Health on the ‘Risk Communication and Community Engagement’ response. In addition, the consultant will manage social media content for existing partnerships, particularly in the education and child protection sectors.
Work Assignment Overview:
- Lead the drafting / revising of a social media strategy with clear aims and objectives to both grow and ensure reach and engagement across platforms.
- Oversee the creating and implementation of the monthly editorial calendar which includes monthly objectives and initiatives
- Ensure that UNICEF South Africa social media platforms are active daily according to priority issues affecting children and UNICEF’s response, ensuring brand consistency in copy through tone, voice, and terminology
- Engage in national, Regional, and global campaigns, managing content and relevant ad credits
- Oversee design (i.e. social media graphics for Facebook cover, profile pic, thumbnails, ads, landing pages, Twitter profile, blogs, etc.
- Oversee and co-create written and visual content for each social media campaign and design, create and manage promotions and social ad campaigns, in line with the organization’s overall campaign strategy and channels.
- Interact with users across platforms, setting up Lives, and advocating, responding to comments, strengthen
- Monitor trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design, and strategy.
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content to tell the story of children in South Africa
- Analyze campaigns and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising social media, content marketing, SEO, and social advertising campaigns.
- Monitor and report back on the impact of social media campaigns. Analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns to maximize results.
- Attendance at key section and office meetings
Deliverables / Outputs:
- Monthly calendar up to date
- Daily posting of content
- Social Media content
- Platforms are well branded with strong images
- Regular powerful and engaging content is posted
- At least 2 social media live sessions a month / regular interaction
- Reports and feedback
- Reports and feedback
- Reports and feedback
- Reports and feedback
- Meeting attendance lists and inputs into meetings (minutes)
Minimum Qualifications required:
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Communication / Multimedia Production / Marketing / Social Sciences
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience
Documented experience in growing social media platforms and building reach and engagement. (Please provide examples)
Experience in developing and managing content production for social media platforms.
Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Tik Tok etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
Excellent English writing skills.
Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and video format, as well as simple social card production ability.
Highly knowledgeable in the principles of
Practiced communicator with demonstrated ability to condense information and capture and communicate is in a well-structured and engaging wayTrack record of working independently and meeting tight deadlines
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their application to the following link: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=546170 by 26 November 2021.
Please indicate your ability, availability, and daily/monthly rate (in ZAR) to undertake the terms of reference above (including admin cost if applicable).
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.