World Meteorological Organization
UTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the guidance of the Chief Engagement Officer, the incumbent will ensure substantive corporate external and internal communication support ensuring high visibility for the GEO strategic communication. The position will support the management and planning of a strategic approach to messaging across all GEO communication channels. The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Formulate and implement a comprehensive overall communication strategy for GEO, including use of email, social media and website to reach target audiences. Ensure that the overall content, news, blog posts reflect the strategic priorities and messaging of the GEO community in support of open knowledge and Earth observations for socioeconomic impact;
- Plan and manage the internal communication channels for staff to ensure clear delivery of relevant and timely information;
- Lead, develop and implement GEO’s annual communication plan aligned with the objectives of the GEO Strategic Plan 2016-2025: Implementing GEOSS, as well as communicating transformational change at GEO;
- Develop targeted communications messages, campaigns, content and products tailored to specific target groups;
- Work closely with the Chief Engagement Officer on overall strategic messaging from the GEO Secretariat Director, the GEO Programme Board and the GEO Executive Committee, liaising with other department heads and members of the GEO community;
- Facilitate the continuous flow of information in the GEO community, i.e., through renewal of the GEO Communicators Network, liaising with GEO Work Programme leads to cross-promote, enforce brand standards, and gather and promote GEO impact stories;
- Develop press relations with relevant outlets and journalists, disseminate news coverage and track press activities, support event promotion and coordination of GEO events, and promote relevant events across the GEO community;
- Lead the development of a new GEO website, and work closely with the GEO IT Manager to ensure continued improvements and visibility/dissemination of achievements and relevant decisions. Ensure that the GEO website presents clear, relevant and up-to-date information;
- Stay abreast of events, developments, news and priorities relevant to GEO and make connections, as appropriate, including through web articles on the GEO website, GEO newsletters and other communication media;
- Monitor and evaluate impact of communication activities, using findings to continuously adjust and improve the GEO communication plan;
- Carry out other relevant duties as required.
Master’s degree or equivalent in journalism, international relations, communications or a closely related field. Additional qualifications in environmental or geophysical science would be an advantage.
At least eight years of combined national and international progressively responsible experience in public information and communication work, targeting multiple stakeholders, including public and private sectors, international organizations and media. Proven experience providing information on scientific issues to non-technical audiences in multi-national environments. Experience performing communication needs assessments against analysis of key stakeholders to develop fit-for-purpose communications. Experience in formulating and implementing complex communications strategies, involving mutli-sectorial stakeholders. Experience developing communication content tailored to the specific medium and audience requirements, including emails, scripts, blogs, talking points, web site content, briefing packets, presentations. Experience in using social media to convey information to technical and non-technical audiences. Proven experience in project management, organizing events and knowledge of data sharing.
High sense of integrity, responsibility, maturity of judgement, initiative and creativity. Excellent organizational, communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and manage multiple workloads with minimum supervision. Ability to analyse and evaluate scientific and technical needs and requirements. Ability to draft reports, correspondence and documents clearly and succinctly in English. Proven experience in graphic design, desktop publishing, photography, videography and video editing. Familiarity with the work of the GEO Secretariat. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster team spirit. Competence in modern cloud-based tools and donor management databases/CRMS. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster team spirit.
Excellent knowledge of English (both oral and written). Knowledge of other official languages of WMO would be an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on unjobvacancies.com
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.