Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency, Corporate Services and Human Resources Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to guarantee overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission.
In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution.
Under the general supervision of the Director, the Team Assistant shall provide administrative and technical support to the team, and contribute to the smooth functioning of the Department and its effectiveness in meeting its mandate
The Team Assistant will:
- Provide administrative and general support services to the team;
- Maintain all files and archives;
- Follow up the implementation of the Department’s work program;
- Help coordinate and organize internal and external events;
- Assist the team in maintaining close contacts with Departments, Regional and Country Offices;
- Provide information to requesters and external translators on Bank rules, policies and procedures;
- Guide clients, and respond to their requests as needed;
- Proofread documents as required by Management;
- Draft correspondences and messages;
- Maintain contacts with external stakeholders and provide them with feedback on their services and performances, as instructed;
- Help organize, monitor and follow up projects as requested.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
- Hold at least a Bachelor degree in languages, Business Management, Administration or a closely related discipline.
- At least four (4) years of practical experience, three (3) of which should have been spent working in or with an international organization (preferably in multilateral development banks).
- Capacity to overcome work pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Client focused and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Excellent writing skills and a sound mastery of various language standards.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
2- External Candidate
If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.