Apply now Job no:518371
Work type:Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Dean of Libraries
Categories:Information Systems / Technology, Library
Under the general direction of the Director for IT Operations in the University Libraries, the Technology Trainer and Knowledge Manager is responsible for overseeing the development of all library faculty/staff focused support services training material produced by IT Operations and the management of all related support documentation. This position manages the training development process, support documentation workflow, and any necessary needs assessment or other information gathering exercise aimed at improving the effectiveness of the IT Operations training program. The position serves the entire University Libraries system, including locations in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke. The IT Training and Knowledge Manager oversees and ensures that all applicable training opportunities and support documentation are available to library faculty and staff across the entire library system, including the locations listed above. This position works collaboratively with other members of the IT team to continually improve support and services for library faculty and staff.
The Technology Trainer and Knowledge Manager leads and/or oversees:
● IT training development for both in-person and online offerings.
● IT technology support documentation and documentation workflow.
● Assessment of IT training offerings and support documentation.
● Continual improvement efforts for IT technology training and documentation.
The Technology Trainer and Knowledge Manager may serve on other Library committees as
– Master’s degree in Instructional Technology, Instructional Design, or bachelor’s degree with
experience in training development.
– Proven record of developing effective technology training and support documentation.
– Demonstrated ability to work with subject matter experts on a wide range of technology
centered training and support materials.
– Experience identifying technology training needs across faculty and staff at multiple
– Experience delivering meaningful training opportunities and support documentation to
faculty and staff at multiple locations, synchronous and asynchronous.
– Must possess strong analytical, interpersonal and problem-solving skills as well as
exceptionally strong communication skills.
– Proven record of customer service excellence.
– Experience with faculty classroom technology training and support.
– Familiarity with faculty/staff training and support for meeting space A/V and Zoom video
– Experience in knowledge management, specifically within the ServiceNow platform.
– Experience providing training tied to computer deployment, including end user
awareness on university policy and protocol in the event of a suspected security breach.
A/P Faculty Lecturer, regular full-time appointment
$55,000 minimum dependent on education and experience
January 3, 2022
- Requires valid driver’s license in good standing
- Must be willing to travel as needed to the University Libraries branches for support, these include branch libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke. Travel to these areas will be on a limited basis
- The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information, and a portfolio of their training and knowledge management work to include: a list of sessions designed by them, a list of sessions taught in person by them, a list of sessions delivered at a distance via synchronous or asynchronous methods, a list of technology used to create and/or deliver training and support documentation, and examples of support documentation created.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community , the University Libraries commit to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at [email protected] during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.