Reporting directly to the Regional Director, the Representative leads a country office team in the design, management, and results-based implementation of a country programme that is aligned with the National Agenda and delivers on UNFPA’s mandate and the ICPD Programme of Action, both in development and humanitarian settings.
Through alliances and partnerships with governments, UN and bilateral agencies, development partners, civil society, academia and the private sector, the programme aims to realize the 2030 Agenda and the 3 transformative results of the UNFPA Strategic Plan in order to make a positive difference in the lives of people; especially those left furthest behind.
As a member of the UN Country Team (UNCT), the Representative has mutual accountability with the Resident Coordinator (RC) on collaborative contributions and support for the implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and other inter-agency agreements of the UNCT. The Representative is also a member of the country Security Management Team (SMT) and responsible for the safety and security of UNFPA staff and eligible dependants.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in any of the following disciplines: International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which at least 5 years in the field of population and development, Gender-based Violence, Sexual and Reproductive Health including basic humanitarian field experience at the international level;
- Current knowledge of issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and their place in the development and humanitarian agenda;
- Proven ability to lead a team, be accountable for assigned responsibilities, inspire its members, create space for learning and innovation, coach the team for demonstrable and high quality results and impact; safe-guard the organization’s ethics and values;
- Experience at national and international level in advocacy and policy dialogue;
- Political acumen;
- Experience in media/communication with partners, and public information;
- Experience in international development, particularly in the mandate of UNFPA and dedication to the principles of the United Nations;
- Field experience is essential; experience working and leading teams in complex humanitarian operations is a strong asset;
- Ability to create an agile environment, able to adapt to changing contexts.
- Embrace appropriate risk to support innovation;
- Ability to deal with and manage crisis situations, prioritizing safety and security of personnel as a high priority;
- Strong influencing skills to engage with new partners around key elements of UNFPA’s mandate.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.