The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore established by UMB to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates through MGIC. MGIC has UMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as “country offices”) throughout sub-Saharan Africa. MGIC activities are funded generally by U.S. government entities through cooperative agreements with UMB.
In Kenya, UMB started operations in 2004 and has implemented several programs funded under the Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). In Kenya Maryland Global Initiative is registered as branch under the Certificate of Compliance.
To ensure seamless management of the Finance and Administration functions of MGIC through providing oversight of project expenditures in close collaboration with the Head Office Finance Leads and the Country Director. The position is responsible for tracking payments, overseeing payroll expenses, managing monthly imprest, preparing cost analysis reports and other financial reports and for overseeing the day to day administrative and operational aspects of the institution in compliance with Government of Kenya, MGIC and donor policies and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Finance Function: To ensure accuracy and completeness of the financial records through providing oversight and management for the financial and reporting functions. This includes:
- Maintenance of a sound financial and project management system including use of ERP: checks, deposits, transfers, petty cash, bank reconciliations, advances reconciliation and reallocations to ensure up to date cash book at all times;
- Processing of payments and receipts;
- Preparation of accurate monthly reports and timely submission
- Preparation of monthly wire projections/cash forecasts
- Timely and accurate payroll preparation and payments of salaries and statutory deductions;
- Maintenance of a system for the use of the office imprest and undertake monthly cash verification procedures to ensure proper use of the imprest with minimal queries;
- Act as co-signatory to all payments, adjustments and transfer vouchers;
- Ensure disclosure of all VAT payments in the books for exemption purposes;
- Maintenance of a proper system of advances to employees, according to MGIC policies, ensuring effective and optimum utilization of resources within the program
- Preparation of audit support schedules and accounts and compilation of the audit file.
- Facilitation of internal / external audits
2) Administration Function
- Ensure consistent adherence to MGIC policies and procedures as well as Government of Kenya regulations in its operations
- Ensure prompt filing of returns to the NGO Board
- Supervision of staff as designated by the Country Director including the Administration, Logistics and Finance Teams
- Coordination of staff development thought training and other relevant approaches
- Ensure that MGIC assets are managed and used according to donor and MGIC regulations **
- Review of all documentation related to the procurement of MGIC assets and commodities for accuracy and ensure compliance to Donor & MGIC regulations
- Ensure appropriate insurance coverage
- In Liaison with the Accounts Assistant; ensure that an up-to-date inventory register of all equipment and materials is maintained and prepare periodic reports for Donors.
- Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- At least five years of experience in financial management for large complex projects
- At least five years of experience working under USAID /CDC funded projects
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English language.
- CPA(K) Qualification is a must
How to apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.