Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, governance, and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative Associates seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for a USAID-funded project, that seeks to strengthen the social contract between local governments and citizens in Sierra Leone by fostering increased accountability of local-level decision-makers to citizens on issues of importance to the community. The primary objective of the CELGA program will be to (1) increase effective and informed citizen and civil society participation in local government and political processes, and (2) bolster the capacity of local governance institutions to provide critical services and be more transparent in their processes. The DCOP provides technical leadership and expertise for the project’s activity as well as serves as a key liaison with host government and key non-governmental stakeholders on technical matters.
The DCOP will report directly to the Chief of Party in Freetown and will supervise various project staff.
- Oversee the technical implementation of the CELGA program;
- Supervise activity implementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals and deliverables;
- Actively engage key civil society and sub-national governmental stakeholders and other USAID-funded implementing partners;
- Expertise in one or both of the following key objective areas: (1) Improving citizen and civil society participation in local government and political processes or (2) Improving capacity of local governance institutions to provide services.
- Actively identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate program adjustments;
- Produce and oversee production of deliverables related to media reporting, CSO administrative skills, improve local government transparency and service delivery;
- Oversee the coordination of local partners as well as sub-recipients and sub-grantees;
- Facilitate and support partnerships, collaboration, and collective action between a diverse group of local stakeholders;
- Mentor and coach staff to support their professional development and application of skills and knowledge to succeed in their roles;
- Interact with numerous Government of Sierra Leone institutions and senior-level government officials; and
Manage a diverse team to deliver impact within agreed timelines.**Qualifications**
An advanced degree in business administration, economics, communications, international development, social sciences, or a related field; or an undergraduate degree with additional professional experience to the minimum years requirements below.
At least 8 years of general experience with at least 4 years in relevant management, supervisory, senior technical role leading programs/projects of similar scope and scale;
At least 5 years of experience in the governance sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in Sierra Leone;
Demonstrated experience in the governance sector in Sierra Leone is required, with a focus on public service delivery, civic engagement, government accountability, gender empowerment, and electoral-support activities;
Demonstrated experience coordinating across various key stakeholders such as CSOs and sub-national government officials; and
The candidate must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English.
How to apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.